My Studio 1558 has died. AC Adapter light is on. Laptop is not receiving power. Because I did not notice it sooner, the battery is now used up so I can't boot. I'm on my third mobo. What is my next step? It's under warranty, but I'd like to have some idea where I might be going with this before I call tech support.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer SecuritySocial Media and Community ProfessionalSpywareHammer
I am not a Microsoft or a Dell employee. I am a volunteer.
See if it will come on with the battery removed. It should run without the battery and I have seen battery problems prevent the system from coming on. Remove the battery, discharge any latent power by holding the power button and then try to turn it on with the adapter. Also note that the Standard PA series adapters work across dells. More power is not an issue. I usually get PA-15 adapter bricks for all my dells.
My documentation says
I really never recommend PA-12's
PA-10 90W is better
PA-15 150W is the reliable one but its Huge and Heavy but not strained and does not get so hot as to burn you.
My local microcenter carries the PA-10 adapters OEM not hong Kong Knock offs.
If you can borrow one I would test that also.
Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here I do not work for Dell. I too am a user. The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.
Thanks, Speed. So far, so good. Will see how things go after it heats up a bit. I usually have to routinely discharge the power if I get a black screen, but this time, it was apparently running on the battery and no sudden black screen crashes. I had no indication anything was wrong until I saw the battery had drained way down.
Today I'm using a different Dell PA (my spare). The label shows it to be PA-4. How does that compare to the one that originally shipped with the 1558?
As far as the battery, it was so odd to see the light on the PA lit and plugged into the laptop securely, but the battery power gone, so no power.
Everything seems to be back to normal today. Thanks again!