So, I forgot my password on the computer so I put a password reset software on a usb and transported it to the computer. But when I was finished and it had completed the computer stopped working and now every time I power it on it gives me 5 beeps repeating over and over. The power button the logo and the side panels are all lit up in the color I chose. But I tried looking at the RAM cards there in place. The fan is running fine I can still hear it. I cannot find the problem with it. Please leave a reply to help me find a solution to this situation. Thank you!
My CPU froze about midway threw installing the A12 update, and now I just get a 2 beep code when I try to turn on with no display. I think it created the ram read error in my case. Didn't know about the jumper pins, I tried everything else I thought there was and was just starting to think I was scr*%d. If this was It well make my year!
What OS were you running?
There's a new BIOS, A12, for the X51 that's meant to fix this issue but I'm not sure how you'd go about installing it now that it won't start. Chris from Dell did offer this as a way to get running again for someone else:
* Disconnect the computer from the electrical outlet
* Remove the computer cover and the riser card assembly (See the Manual: http://dell.to/132izb6)
* Locate the 3-pin green CLEAR CMOS jumper on the motherboard next to the PCIe x16 slot
* Remove the jumper from pins 2 and 3
* Place the jumper on pins 1 and 2 and wait approximately five seconds
* Remove the jumper plug and replace it on pins 2 and 3
* Replace the riser card assembly and the computer cover
* Reconnect the computer power cord to the electrical outlet and power on